Songs that Begin with ``And..."You may be wondering why I'm keeping track of all the songs that I can think of that begin with the word ``And," and you would be right to do so. Let me explain. As a songwriter and just your general user of the English language, I have wondered why somebody who's trying to say something in a song would start with ``and." I mean, they haven't said anything, yet, so I'm thinking, ``and" what? Are we coming in in the middle of a conversation? Are they just trying to take up extra word-space? Well, maybe you don't wonder, yourself, or maybe you're wondering just how boring my life really is. It doesn't matter. I'm gonna publish this list anyway.
Wow! A glimpse into the mind of one who's begun songs with ``And...". Can you believe the plethora of information available on the Web?
- Van Morrison, ``Caravan": ``And the caravan is on its way..."
Contributed by Darren "Daz" Raymond
- Van Morrison, ``Glad Tidings": ``And they'll lay you down low and easy..." Yet another from my friend, Darren. Darren also comments, ``In fact, every verse of that one starts with 'and' too...probably a good third of the lines, actually." (Makes you wonder why VM needs that extra syllable each time, eh?)
- I don't know the title, but it's by Don MacLean and the first line goes like this (I think): ``And if she asks you why you can tell her that I told you that I'm tired of castles in the air..."
- Cat Stevens, ``Fill My Eyes": ``And in the morning when you fill my eyes..."
Contributed by Shaun Hervey.
- The Beatles,``The End" has been eliminated as inelligible because, as pointed out by Sean Siever, ``[The song actually] starts with `Oh yeah, All right - Are you gonna be in my dreams tonight?' The `and in the end' bit is at the very end of the song." Thanks Sean for averting further disaster!
- U2, ``A Sort of Homecoming": ``And you know it's time to go through the sleet and driving snow..."
Contributed by Bruce Geerdes.
- Wilson Phillips (from Shadows & Light), ``Goodbye, Carmen": ``And her eyes are like skys that will rain..."
Contributed by Kendall Gelner. By the way, I couldn't resist including the quote that accompanied Kendall's contribution: ``You didn't say it had to be a GOOD song that started with AND!" Thanks, Kendall!
- Paul Mcartney , ``My Love": ``And when I go away I know my heart can stay with my love..."
Contributed by Kendall Gelner.
- aMiniature (from Plexiwatt), ``Security From A Stranger": ``And the standers stand alone now ..."
Contributed by Kevin Athey.
- Soundgarden (from Badmotorfinger), ``Jesus Christ Pose": ``And you stare at me, In your Jesus Christ pose, ..."
Contributed by Kevin Athey.
- Ramones (from All The Stuff (And More) - Volume One), ``I Don't Wanna Be Learned I Don't Wanna Be Tamed": ``And I don't wanna be learned/And I don't wanna be tamed..."
Compliments of Ralph Chapman
- Englebert Humperdinck, (no title provided): ``And I love you so/The people ask me how/How I've lived 'til now/I tell them I don't know..."
Sent in by Dhanesh (Sorry it took so long, Dhanesh!)
- Janis Ian (from Stars), ``Dance with Me": ``And when the war was over/I went dancing in the street/with the corpse of my dead brother/to the sacrificial beat..."
I found this one myself. Kinda creepy, huh?
- Here are two original tunes that were contributed by Michael Breen:
``I've written at least two songs whose lyrics start with `And...' It struck me a couple years back as a way of implying ``continuation," even if there wasn't any. One song, called ``Give Me Some Time," started out originally with the line:
``And when I'm at the end of my days, I won't feel a thing."
I've since added a couple lines to the beginning, so that one doesn't count any more. However, each verse starts with ``And...," even though they don't represent a lyrical continuation of what's gone before.
Another song, with lyrics still under construction, starts with:
``And so I decide it's time."
Both these songs are in post-production in my studio, and will be sung and released within the next month.
Thanks to all for your contributions, and keep those songs coming!
Holly's Page | Influences | Hot Links | "And..." Songs | String Beans |